Fried Chicken and Waffle Sandwiches
Fried chicken? Good. Waffles? Good. Delicious maple Chobani sauce smothering fried chicken and waffles together into one magnificent sandwich. Possibly TOO good.
We all have our own version of “comfort food.” Unfortunately, when times get tough (or we just need a little edible TLC) we don’t often take the LIGHT route. These occasions tend to lend themselves to snug pants + candy wrappers.
[insert Chobani to the rescue here]
1 C Plain 0% Chobani Greek Yogurt
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
4 chicken legs, skin removed
4 chicken thighs, skin removed
1/2 C whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 C Vanilla 0% Chobani Greek Yogurt
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 C whole milk
maple syrup and berries, for serving
1/2 C Plain 2% Chobani Greek Yogurt
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1. Start by prepping your chicken. Whisk together Chobani, mustard, garlic, 2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Add chicken pieces and turn to coat in marinade. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to 12 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place a wire rack on top of baking sheet and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Place flour, paprika, thyme, baking powder, remaining 1 tsp salt and remaining 1/2 tsp black pepper in a large plastic bag. Remove chicken from marinade, shake off excess and place in flour mixture. Shake to coat, shake off excess coating and place on prepared rack. Repeat with remaining chicken. Discard remaining marinade and seasoned coating.
4. Lightly coat chicken with a cooking spray and bake until golden brown and a digital thermometer reads 160°F, 50-60 minutes.
5. Time to make your waffles: in a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, Chobani and milk.
6. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture and use a wooden spoon to combine lightly.
7. Heat a nonstick waffle iron with medium heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray and pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto pan for each waffle. Cook until golden brown.
8. Mix 1/2 cup Plain 2% Chobani with 2 tbls maple syrup. Add desired serving of baked chicken to your waffle (we added 1 1/2 thighs/legs), cover chicken with Maple Chobani sauce and top with your second waffle (to complete the sandwich, of course).